Thursday, 5 April 2012

Guest Post : Exaggerating for Entertainment by J.D. Brown (

3 comments

Hello my lovely readers.Today we have here to blog the author if Dark Heirloon, J.D.Brown!

Exaggerating for Entertainment by J.D. Brown


I love to exaggerate because it’s fun. I do it often in day to day speech without realizing it most of the time. It’s actually become a trait among the women in my family – along with sarcasm, but that’s a story for another time.

When I write, I have to be conscious of my exaggeration streak. Not because I need to cut it out, but because I need to add it in!

Exaggerating in written words can make a scene more fun and more memorable, which is great when there is something specific you want the readers to remember for later. But like many things, it’s a balancing act. If your characters exaggerate everything all the time, they begin to lose their credibility and the reader starts to gloss over most of what the character does and says. Therefore, I need to be selective.

There also comes a second problem with exaggerating. In a contemporary story, if you read a line like “The fish was as big as a house!” the reader will of course chuckle and roll their eyes, knowing that there is really no such thing as a house-sized fish. But problems can occur when we read this same sentence in a paranormal story where the rules of life are different.

If there are vampires and witches in the story, couldn’t there also be giant fish? Well, sure there could be. So how does the reader know the author was exaggerating there?

I’ll give you a better example…I have a bad habit of saying my character “flew out the door” to indicate that they left the room very quickly. The problem with that is my vampires can literally fly through doors! So how do the readers know when I’m speaking literally or metaphorically? They don’t. I have to delete the metaphorical flying in favor of the literal flying or my readers will hate me.

But some instances, like the fish, can get away with a little fun exaggeration so long as I’m careful not paint a literal picture and lay out the rules of my fictional world.

You can bet I used this tactic in my novel Dark Heirloom. If you’re one of those readers that love hunting for clues in a story, I suggest you start there. And that’s the only clue I’ll give you about my clues. *Wink*



About the Author: 

J.D. Brown graduated from the International Academy of Design and Technology with a Bachelor Degree in Fine Arts. She currently lives in Wisconsin with her two Pomeranians. Growing up in the suburbs of Chicago, her writing is influenced by the multicultural urban society of her youth which she continues to visit each summer. J.D. loves paranormal characters; from vampires and werewolves, demons and angels, to witches and ghosts. Her writings are often a combination of suspense and romance. J.D. enjoys helping and promoting her fellow writers and leads an active life on the web. She also writes erotic romance for the MuseItHOT division under the pen name Danielle Ravencraft.

Links:



Dark Heirloom by J.D. Brown

Genre:  Urban Fantasy 

Youre a vampire” is so not what Ema Marx wants to hear when she wakes from a two-day coma in a cryptic yet exquisite castle in northern Finland. Unfortunately, it explains a lot. Like why shes able to see in the dark and walk through solid objects. What she doesn’t understand is why the other vampires expect her to have all the answers. Its their fault she turned into one of them…right?

Jalmaris hatred for his old-man intensifies when hes ordered to bring that troublesome girl to their castle. He has a clan to run; theres no time for babysitting newborn vampires no matter how they were converted to their culture. But when a two-thousand-year-old premonition threatens to take the crown and his life, Jalmari sees no other choice than to take out the catalyst, Ema Marx. Fortunately for Ema, she could also be the clans only savior.

The race to figure out her vampiric origins is on. And maybe shell get the hang of the blood-drinking gig along the way…

3 comments :

  1. Hi Rallu. Thanks for hosting me on your blog today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Thanks for sharing this

    ReplyDelete