Monday, 14 May 2012

Author Interview with Richard Ungar, the author of Time Snatchers.

Leave a Comment

Hey! Welcome to The Daydreamer’s Book Obsession. Thanks for taking the time to visit .
Let’s Get started, shall we?

1.   How about we start off with telling the readers a little bit about yourself?

I’m an author/illustrator living in Toronto. I’ve written and illustrated four picture books. Time Snatchers is my first novel. When I’m not writing or drawing I work as a lawyer.

2.   Who has inspired you as an author?
I love Neil Gaiman’s work. I’m also a big fan of George R.R. Martin (A Game of Thrones). For time travel, my favorite book of all time is Connie Willis’s The Doomsday Book.
3.   Can you tell us about Time Snatchers and where the idea came from?
I’ve always been fascinated by the idea of time travel and I wanted to write about it. In its earliest stages, Time Snatchers started as a writing exercise in s writing class I was taking. The exercise was to write a story based on one of the images in Chris Van Allsburg’s picture book, “The Mysteries of Harris Burdick”. I chose the picture called “Another Place, Another Time” showing a group of boys riding a sail-propelled handcar along a railway track that seemed to go on forever. As soon as I saw that picture, I knew I wanted to write a story that had time travel as an important element.

4.   What was your favorite part of the book to write and why?

My favorite part of the book to write was the scenes at Expo 67 in Montreal. I think this was fun for me because I grew up in Montreal and remember the excitement of going to Expo 67 as a kid and riding on some of the rides I describe in the book.

5.   Do you have an exciting Time Snatchers teaser you'd like to share?

My cat, Rocket, has a cameo appearance in the book… but when I told her she didn’t seem too impressed.

6.   Any upcoming projects? Something you're currently working on at the moment?

My next writing project that I’m currently working on is the sequel to TIME SNATCHERS, I’m also gearing up for a trip out west to Vancouver and Seattle to do readings in libraries and schools.

7.   What made you want to be a writer?

I kind of got in through the ‘back door’. What I mean by that is I’ve always loved to draw and paint, so I first started writing to have something to go along with my pictures. Then, when I realized I quite enjoyed writing, I decided to do more of it.

8.   What inspires you the most?

I’m inspired by great paintings (my favorite artist is Chagall). I’m also inspired by people who rise above tough circumstances.

9.   What do you enjoy doing when not reading or writing?

I like to work out – cycling and swimming are my favorite sports. I also like to draw and paint.

10.           As a writer , what is one of the toughest decisions you've had to make?

I think one of the toughest decisions for me as a writer was to set aside a manuscript I had been working on for years. It was actually the novel that I wrote before Time Snatchers. I submitted it to a bunch of publishers and received as many rejections. I don’t think it was so much a case of giving up as it was realizing that the novel had flaws that could not be overcome unless I rewrote it entirely.

11.           While you were writing, did you ever feel as if you were one of the characters?

Great question. I think that in order to write effectively you need to get inside the heads of your characters. There were times when I felt I was right with the character in terms of what he or she was doing or feeling…and then the phone would ring or the timer on the microwave would go off!

12.           What genre of books do you like to read? do you limit yourself to only the genre that you write yourself?

I like to read mostly science fiction or fantasy but for some reason I’ve been fascinated by Mount Everest… so I’ve been reading a lot of personal account/memoirs on climbs up Everest.

13.           What would you rather do: go back in time or check out the future?Why?

I think I’d prefer to go back in time. Sometimes I imagine myself living in the time of the Rean

http://www.richard-ungar.com/





0 comentarii :

Post a Comment