Thursday, 2 August 2012

My Story :Guest Post by Cheryl Douglas

1 comment

As some of you may already know I was a nutritionist, specializing in weight loss, in my previous life. I did that for years, and I enjoyed it. I developed a successful program based on whole foods that helped thousands of clients lose weight and keep it off. For those of you who have tried to lose weight, you’ll know that keeping it off is the hard part.
During my free time, which was rare, I would write. I wrote several manuscripts over the years, but I tucked them away and forgot about them. I knew I didn’t have the patience to wait around for an agent or editor to decide whether or not they liked my work. And truth be told, I was probably afraid of the rejection. Don’t worry; I’ve developed a much thicker skin since then!
One day, I found myself at a crossroads in my life and career. New owners bought the plaza where I was leasing retail space, and they told me I’d have to sign on for another five years. Those were their terms, take it or leave it. I had an agonizing decision to make. I had a successful business, a career I enjoyed, and a program I was proud of, but I had to ask myself… Is this what you want to do for the next five, ten, twenty years? No! I wanted to be a writer. So, I sent the clients I adored off with one of the dieticians who worked for me, packed up my office, planted my butt firmly in my chair and began to write, full-time.
Staring at that blank screen for the first time was probably the scariest moment of my life. I had a vague story idea in mind for the first book in the Nashville Nights series, Shameless, but I didn’t know how that germ of an idea would evolve into a single book, much less an eight book series. Then something amazing happened… I let go of the fear, trusted my muse to guide me, and the words just started to flow. It was amazing. At the end of every day, I’d read what I’d written for the day and wonder… Hey, who the heck wrote that? It couldn’t have been me!
Days turned into weeks, weeks turned into months, and here I am. I just finished the seventh book in my eight book series and I couldn’t be happier with the decision I made that day. I wake up every morning looking forward to the new challenges I’m facing, beyond proud of the accomplishments I’ve had thus far, and grateful for the fans who’ve taken the time to tell me that my writing affected them in some way. I finally found the courage to write my own happily ever after. I just might write the epilogue one day, so stay tuned…

Relentless
Book Five Nashville Nights
Cheryl Douglas
Print Length: 192 pages
ASIN: B008EW4MGY

Nikki Spencer is all grown up, but the world still sees her as the little girl she used to be. She's ready to prove to her adoring public, and a certain rough riding rodeo champion, that sweet little Nikki isn't as innocent as everyone seems to think.

J.T. McCall has a reputation as a rough rider, both on the bull-riding circuit, and in the bedroom. So what's he to do when an innocent, like country crooner, Nikki Spencer, sets her sights on him? He plans to do what any good old country boy would do, save the lady from herself. But who will save J.T. when this little firecracker sets his world on fire?

Amazon



About the Author
It took me thirty-seven years to decide what I wanted to be when I grew up. I thought I'd found my calling. In fact, I worked as a nutritionist for twelve years before I finally admitted to myself that while I enjoyed my work, I couldn't imagine doing it for the next thirty years.
My sub-conscious knew that I wanted to be a writer long before the conscious part of my mind decided to get with the program. While my sub-conscious was hard at work creating character profiles, plots and storylines, my conscious mind was telling me it was crazy to give up a successful business on the off-chance one of my manuscripts might rise to the top of someone's never-ending slush pile. After years of listening to that negative voice, I was finally ready to stop making excuses, face the fear and follow my dream of becoming a full-time writer, no matter the outcome. I'm so thankful I did.
I love bringing my characters to life and I am so grateful to have readers who love those characters as much as I do.
When I take a break from writing it's to spend time with my husband (a.k.a. my real life hero), my son, and my writing partner, Tia, a spirited Havanese who enjoys tapping her paw on my keyboard whenever I need a little comic relief.



1 comment :

  1. Thanks so much for featuring my book, Relentless, on your site today!

    ReplyDelete