Monday, 16 September 2013

Book Blast Consonance By Lisa Malabanan

2 comments

Consonance By Lisa Malabanan

Published: August 25, 2012.

Genre: Chick Lit, Contemporary,

Romance Print Length: 369 pages

DESCRIPTION: 

Elle Martins is a gifted musician ready to start her first year at College. She is not alone. Elle has the security of her best friends and boyfriend nearby, attending the same University. Everything seems new and exciting, but the moment she joins a rock group, her life changes. The band becomes a favorite among the college crowd. Their performances are a hit thanks to Elle’s musical genius, and the band garners recognition from a major record label.
Throughout the school year, Elle struggles over music, decisions, insecurities, and most of all, love. She is grateful for many amazing opportunities, yet the chance of a lifetime is within her grasp. Can she choose the ultimate dream or leave the people she loves behind?


Buy Links:



Guest Post !

Using Humor in Dialogue

I’m a new author, so I’m learning and growing as a writer. I don’t claim to be an expert on how to write good dialogue. Although I can share how I used funny or sarcastic dialogue to engage the reader’s interest throughout my first book, Consonance.

My genre is new adult and chick lit. I chose the categories because I like the coming of age aspect. The transition from high school to college and from college to adulthood is a sensitive time. I remember this difficult and emotional period in my life. On the flipside, I remember how exciting, fun, and scary this moment can be too.

That phase of my life was a long time ago. Still, I recall that period of life vividly when I look back on my relationships, encounters, travels, and struggles. Some of my experiences influenced the scenes and dialogue in the story.

College was a great for me. I’ve met a variety of individuals. Many are from diverse backgrounds, culture, religions, age groups, and social status. The majority of my good friendships are with men. Nothing romantic, at least not on my end, but it’s easier for me to interact with the guys. Of course, I don’t want to disregard my friendships with the girls because I have a handful of them.

Being friends with the boys wasn’t always simple. They can be rude, blunt, and insensitive. I needed to have a strong personality and some confidence in order to hang around the guys without running away offended. Men have a sarcastic and “fresh” sense of humor. I had to be just as witty in return. The jokes, competitiveness, teasing, dares, pranks, and debates pushed my creativity to try and outdo them. I learned how to act and react with the different men in my life, past and present.

Humor is one of the qualities that help me maintain a good relationship with both men and women. I realized this back in high school, used wittiness in college, and applied it throughout my adult life. It was natural for me to utilize some sarcastic humor for the dialogue between my female protagonist (Elle) and her male friends (Drew, James, Kevin, and Ryan) in the book.

One of the main reasons that kept my readers’ interest in the storyline was the dialogue among Elle and the guys. The bickering between Kevin and Elle was the most engaging. Both Elle’s and Kevin’s character have distinct personalities which often conflict with one another. The tension, whether flirtatious or feisty, provides the fuel to their funny scenes.

Awkwardly, I smile in response, unsure of what to say next. Drew nods his head and then advances towards the vicinity of James and Sean. Ryan waves with a return grin and follows behind Drew.
Kevin pushes his luck and chooses to stay, glimpsing the skimpy outfits to tease me. “Looking for a sexy outfit to wear for me?”
He’s obnoxious and despite Tiffany’s and James’ warning, we banter. “Not! Slutty ain’t my style.”
Kevin persists. “They’re not slutty. I’ll help you find something...aha!” He pulls out this heinous blood sucker getup, “Be a vampire, and I’ll let you sink your teeth in me. C’mon, I know you’re thirsty.”
Enraged, I refuse to back down. “Even I wouldn’t be that desperate for your tainted blood. I’d rather stake myself.”
Kevin chortles. “I knew you were into some kinky things.” Next, he takes out another lewd garb infuriating me. His devious grin widens, suggesting, “Be a sexy nurse, and I can be your patient.”
He’s defiantly flirting after James instructed him not to. Sean is close-by, and I should walk away although my stubbornness continues. I sneer, “Sure why not. I’ll check your temp by shoving a giant thermometer up your ass.”
He laughs and steps closer, “Ooh promise! I think I have a fever.”
Furious, my fists are clenched, and I’m ready to shove him with all my might into the display of tacky costumes. Once I raise my hands to make contact with Kevin, he grabs my arms to lock behind me, lifting my body up at the same time.
Now his gaze is leveled to my scowl, saying, “You have to be quicker and stronger to take me down Elle.”


I admit that writing dialogue is tough. I rely on my past experiences for ideas on the characters’ conversations. Learning to communicate and relate with diverse people and different personalities helps a lot. I’ve recently learned to say the dialogue out loud, so I can hear if the lines make sense, if it’s appropriate for the character’s personality and age, and to listen out for natural speech.

Pay attention to persons’ mannerisms, style of clothes, inflections in voice, quirks, use of slang or profanities, and facial expressions. Study how people react to you. Are they comfortable, upset, anxious, calm, giddy, nasty, uninterested, nervous, afraid, eager, or violent? Depending on the reaction, I may change the way I interact or talk with them. I see a lot of these actions and consequences in my everyday life. Of course, using humor appropriately helps to ease any tension.

Just observe the casual conversations happening in the environment. Basically, eavesdropping and spying. The couple sitting across from you at a restaurant are laughing and chattering. What are they so entertained about? Maybe they are gossiping about a friend getting drunk at a party, or remembering a “bad date” encounter, or a practical joke one of them played on a coworker. Curiosity and imagination are as useful as real incidents in creating dialogue.

I’m grateful to have those fond memories of college, to have good relationships with many amazing people, and I look forward to meeting more individuals. Perhaps I’ll make new friendships and write about those experiences. After all, the end of one story allows an opportunity to write a new one.

Thank you for having me as a guest on your blog. I had a great time sharing my experiences with you and your readers

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

I am a graduate of Rutgers College of Nursing and work as
a Professional Registered Nurse in the field of Perinatology. I currently live in the
Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania with my husband and two children. At the age of six, I

discovered piano and classical music. A variety of music genres influenced my life

through the years, and I’m passing on a love of the arts to my daughter and son.

Reading fiction is my escape from the chaos and stress of a demanding yet

rewarding profession. For me, writing transcends the diversion of a good

book. The experience is like commuting on a New York City subway; diverse

people enter and exit the scene, sometimes delays and derailment occur during

creativity, and a train of thought is missed or passed over on occasion. In the end,

an arrival at my destination is what I hope to accomplish, and I invite readers to

take that ride with me.

CONNECT WITH LISA:

GIVEAWAY

2 comments :

  1. Thank you again for featuring Consonance on your blog! Good luck to all on the giveaway :)

    ReplyDelete